Temporary Food Service
Events may require a Special Event Permit from Building Inspections. Apply for a Special Events Permit before submitting your temporary food permit application.
A temporary food service establishment shall operate at a fixed location for no more than five (5) consecutive days in conjunction with a special event. Each separate event shall require a separate temporary food establishment permit. An event may occur at a given site only once during a 30-day period. An application for such permit shall be filed at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled event.
a temporary food permit is needed:
- If the general public or persons other than members of the organization and their families are invited to the event, even if tickets are sold.
- If the event has been advertised to the public.
- For Farmer's conveying food or samples at Farmer's Markets.
- For Bake Sales.
- For free or nonprofit events such as feeding the homeless (permit fee waived).
If you are unsure whether your event requires a temporary food service permit, please contact the Health Department at email@example.com or 972-205-3460.
A temporary food permits is not needed:
- For children's neighborhood beverage stand
- Cottage Food Vendors
- Mobile Food Vendors - Mobile Food Vendors must obtian a permit from Dallas County.
Fee Schedule and application
- $100 per booth per event
- $100 per Farmer per year
- Temporary Food Service Permit Application (PDF)
- Permitted Kitchen Authorization Form (PDF)
The Garland Health Department typically inspect temporary food service establishments prior to permit issuance. All temporary food service facilities that have sampling or food preparation onsite requires a Certified Food Handler to be onsite for the duration of the event.
get ready for INSPECTION
- Inspection Guidelines (PDF)
- Inspection Checklist for Food Booths (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF
- Texas Food Establishment Rules on Temporary Food Service (PDF)
- City of Garland Temporary Food Service Amendments (PDF)
- Texas Cottage Food Law
- Farmer's Markets