Electrical Repair / Meter Base Upgrade / SOLAR INSTALLATION

Helpful Resources

Homeowners who: 1) own the home, 2) live in the home, and 3) homestead the home through the Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD) may pull a Homeowner's Affidavit and complete the repairs themselves if they feel confident in making the required repairs. Homeowners must provide a copy of a current driver's license which reflects the address you are trying to permit. (If you have recently purchased the home, please call our office at 972-205-2300 for alternatives to this requirement.) This department will verify with DCAD via their website that a homestead exemption exists for the permitted address. If there is no record of a homestead exemption, the homeowner must provide a copy of the executed homestead exemption from DCAD.

If the homeowner is unable to produce the required documents stated above, a State licensed electrician registered with the City of Garland must be hired to take out the permit.

Rental Properties

If the property is rental property, a State-licensed electrician who is registered with the City of Garland must complete the repairs. No exceptions.


Solar panel installation requires an electrical permit.  Solar companies must be registered with the City as an Electrical Contractor and must submit the following:

  • Subcontractors Permit
  • State of Texas Engineered plans for the installation; Electrical engineer when no structural work must be completed to hold the weight of the panels; Structural engineer when modifications are required to the roof.
  • Please adhered to Garland Power & Light (GP&L) guidelines for installation regardless of utility provider.  EXCEPTION:  10kW-AC maximum.
  • Provide name of Utility Provider on coversheet and/or Subcontractors Permit application.
  • All documents should be submitted on a USB in PDF format; with a paper copy of the Subcontractor Permit Application.

Garland Power & Light

If your utility company is Garland Power & Light (GP&L) and you've taken out a permit, and while completing electrical repairs you wish to upgrade your meter base, the City Warehouse will provide you with a new meter base free of charge. You must show your permit to the staff member assisting you in order to obtain the meter base. The City Warehouse is located at:
1720 Commerce Street
Garland, TX 75040

Phone: 972-205-3400